Monday, September 10, 2007

What do you want to be?

Tonight's blog title is brought to you by Slash's Snakepit circa 1995. I still listen to the CD, which I can’t say about many of the hair band CDs I bought back in the day.

I was inspired to start a blog by my good friend D Cup. (We've never met, but I still refer to him as my good friend.) I found his blog by chance, and I've been a reader ever since.

Sadly his employer pulled the rug out from under him a while ago, deeming a personal blog that discusses anything he might cover as a reporter for the Associated Press to be off limits.

Being a journalist means you're supposed to appear to be apathetic. Nobody would believe you really are. We all have opinions, likes, dislikes, tastes, preferences and ideas, but when you write about the opinions, likes, dislikes, tastes, preferences and ideas of others, you cannot appear to have any of your own. It's very fraudulent, but that’s the way the game is played.

D Cup has pondered whether or not there’s a reason to continue his blog. His favorite blogging topics – politics and his job – are now off limits. Talk about taking the wind out of his sails.

I have wondered if he should start a new blog, completely anonymous, something he dislikes. He could blog about politics and topics he has covered, but wouldn’t have his identity tied to the blog.

Despite being anonymous, there’s always a tiny chance the blog could be linked to him. Given the ramifications if that happened, and the fact he has issues with blogging anonymously, it’s not a viable solution.

He has also pondered making his blog private, meaning only a select few folks would have access. That would essentially skirt the AP rule, but again, there’s a small chance it could blow up in his face. Worse than that, it denies everyone in the free world the opportunity to stumble upon his blog by dumb luck, and that wouldn’t be right. He has great stories and entertaining anecdotes to share from his life of celibacy, stories that should be available to the masses. OK, I admit, I made that last part up. His anecdotes aren’t entertaining. (rim shot)

So that leaves one option, fewer blogs and less topics from the world of D Cup. That’s not fair, but most jobs come with some sort of sacrifice. The fact that D Cup was chopped off at the knees is just another example of the old adage: nobody said life was fair.

Therefore I say, “Sally forth, D Cup, the world awaits your next run in with a drag queen!”

And with that I would like to introduce Chris. Like D Cup, I stumbled upon Chris’ wacky world by pure luck. In her case she found me by chance and introduced me to her world via a comment she made on one of my recent blogs. I’m not sure if I’d be more amused or terrified of her if I met her in person, but she raises interesting points with her unorthodox style. I hope she keeps up the good work. A link to her blog now appears in my list of favorites.

1 comment:

Tequila Mockingbird said...

OMFG you are awesome shit. seriously. ironically, my blog was shut down yesterday and part of today... not sure why, but it's back up now... chock full of good times. thanks for linking me. glad you have such a high opinion of me, and i hope i can keep living up to your standards.

*Cheers*