Monday, April 25, 2011

People #3 (unedited)

Coworker C is a guy I've wondered about.

When I first got to know him, he had a girlfriend who also worked at our haunted attraction. Within months after I first met the happy couple they split up, and she eventually moved out of state. For the past three years Coworker C has dated a few people, to the best of my understanding, but hasn't had a long-term relationship. At least I don't think so. I don't keep up with the social statuses and gossip of my Halloween coworkers, so I'm often out of the loop most of the year.

I started learning this past year that Coworker C had a girlfriend. This was confirmed during the Halloween season. They became engaged around New Year's Eve and were married in Vegas weeks later. It's his first marriage, I am certain. She has children, but I don't know much more about her background.

Coworker C went to college for some sort of computer design degree, and now works as a laborer. He couldn't find work in his field of study and wound up working in a warehouse. He also has a passion for photography, but it's nothing more than a hobby, as best as I can tell. Making a buck as a photographer is tougher than ever thanks to the availability and ease of digital photography. The skills of a photographer who knows what he is doing are priceless, but most people are willing to settle for less than expertise since cameras and film are cheap in the digital age.

In the past year his father died. His parents live in the south, so he didn't see his parents very often in recent years.

His life probably didn't work out as he planned several years ago, but now he's happily married. I asked one of my Halloween coworkers what she thought of a seemingly sudden wedding. She thinks that the fast-tracked relationship and marriage was in response to the death of his father.

Whatever be the reason for his marriage, relationships don't need to drag on for five years and culminate in a big, elaborate wedding. Perhaps Coworker C and his wife happened to be what each other were looking for, and they recognized it immediately.

Maybe their Vegas wedding was the culmination of a two-year relationship, and I didn't realize it has been going on that long. Perhaps it wasn't as sudden as it seems.

Personally I'm a bit skeptical about the long-term viability of the marriage, but that's in part because I'm skeptical any marriage will stand the test of time. Conversely I think that two people who are committed to each other and committed to making things work will find a way to do so, if their intentions are pure when they make their commitment to each other. I hope for the latter, obviously, and wish them the best of luck.

No comments: