Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Seven nights of Fonzie: Night 8

The “Seven nights of Fonzie” blogs are unedited before a live audience.

On the seventh day, the Fonz did rest. But I have one more thought I need to dwell upon, if but for a minute.

So as I mentioned, I recently read one man’s thoughts about the meaning of life and it got me thinking about the meaning of my life. Perhaps that’s what started this whole ball rolling, and woke me up to the fact that I haven’t done enough with my life in the past two years.

While I don’t know what the meaning of my life is, I’m not going to worry about it. If I’m meant to be a husband or father, I will, I am sure of it. If I’m meant to spend my life serving others, some day I will. If I’m meant to spend my life doing what I have to do to get by, and enjoying the ride as often as I can, so be it. I have some long-term plans for my future, some of which may be realized, some which inevitably won’t. But I’m not going to worry about the future at the expense of the present. There has to be a balance between the two, certainly, but now that I have a plan in place for a better future, I can’t keep my life on hold. It has been for a year, and although I’m not completely satisfied with where my life is today, if I wait until my life is perfect, I’ll never start living. And life is too short for that.

And with that the Fonz will take a few days off before returning to regular blogging, whatever that means.